Friday, December 17, 2010

Will Power.

The last couple of days, I have felt my will power beginning to wane. I'm not sure if it's the time of year, the fact that I'm about 3 weeks into this and the novelty has worn off, or what.

Example.
Last night, I stopped at Panera Bread to get some soup on my way home from a 5 hour Christmas shopping marathon. The lady says "What would you like for your side?" I instinctively say "Bread please." I'm not sure what came over me, but at that moment in time I wanted something to sop up the soup that I was about to eat. Oh, did I mention that I wasn't THAT hungry anyways. I got home, soup put in the fridge, wrap presents, clean up, go pick up Ansley and put her to bed at home. By this time it's about 9:30pm and I decide that I'm hungry. Get my soup and bread out and proceed to eat every last bite of soup and bread. I should have easily been able to say 'No' to the bread, but I didn't.

An interesting follow up to that is approximately 30 minutes later, I had a pretty uncomfortable stomachache, like I felt sick. I wonder if my body has already adjusted to not having grains and my gut didn't like the flood of gluten that it got.

Here's the good news...
Today, I'm still feeling sorry for myself. I eat a couple pieces of chocolate (a gift) this morning. And I'm about to do the normal "Oh well, I've already screwed this up, might as well make a day of it", so I head to Whole Foods (I tend to make better decisions there...) and plan on picking up something to eat. Maybe even...GASP....a sandwich or something.

BUT....

I got a Chicken Salad plate (chicken salad, crackers, cheese, and grapes). I was going to say, "Beth, you can eat a couple crackers, it's okay." Alas, the crackers and most of the grapes are still in the box (as evidenced by the picture). I decided that I just wouldn't eat them. Really, what I am missing out on?

So I can say that while I am far from perfect, I am making progress. One slip-up does not ruin my day anymore.

No comments: