Monday, December 13, 2010

Reflect.

It's Monday morning, so I thought I would take a bit of time to reflect on the first 13 days of my challenge/adventure/temporary psychosis...whatever you want to call it.

The last 13 days have been both an eye opening and educational experience. I find myself being very aware of the effect that food had on my body. I will admit, it hasn't been a perfect 13 days, but I can definitely tell a difference in my body and mood when I eat something that is filled with sugar or grains. Although that doesn't mean that when presented with the opportunity to indulge in homemade cookies or other goodies I would turn them down. Which says something about the power of emotional attachment to food. That I would knowingly make myself uncomfortable to enjoy food.

Part of me thinks it's been a LONG 13 days of avoiding grains to the best of my ability and will power, but then again, I also think that it hasn't really been that hard either. I guess most of the "sacrifices" I've had to make have been in either convenience or cost. If I eat out now (aside from Friday of course) I choose places that I know I  can get decent quality primal foods.

Prime example is Saturday. Ryan and I were out Christmas shopping all day long. In the midst of our shopping we realized that we were both completely famished. Driving down Westheimer near the Beltway we were going through our options for a quick bite. There were the usual suspects, fast food, sandwich shops etc. Ryan knew that I would find "something" to eat at any of those places, but he knew it probably wouldn't be a great idea. So instead of stopping at a less-than-ideal fast food place, we ran into a Whole Foods and I found some cheese and chicken salad* that I could have as a big snack while we finished. Better decision and I felt much better than I would have. Typical fast food meal averted!

The same thing happened at dinner. Done shopping, it's late, we're tired, usually a recipe for a quick drive through meal. However, we were on such a role that neither one of us wanted fast food. So we ate at La Madeline, where I could get a bowl of soup and a salad with chicken. The other bonus was we got to spend some time together with no other distractions. With Ansley, I think we forget what it's like to converse without interruptions!

I think I set out with a goal of being somewhere between "on" 80% of the time and then allowing myself some "off" time about 20% of the time. The last 13 days have been close to 90/10. I can think of two whole meals that have not been grain-free and a couple of handfuls of things, but I definitely pick and choose where I want to "spend" my 20% very carefully!

*as a side note - I'm now craving this chicken salad! Might have to make a run back to Whole Foods today to get some for lunch.

No comments: