Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Guilt.

It's really something that I've tried to eliminate with this new lifestyle change. I don't want to feel guilty for indulging in a good dessert or meal once in a while. It's when the indulgence turns into an every day thing that becomes a problem. Case in point.

Last night I made a quick meal of some taco meat, lettuce, cheese and salsa and made a taco salad. I've been doing well by not eating things like flour tortillas, etc. But I had a hankering last night for something crunchy with my salad. So I took some of the corn tortillas in the pantry, brushed them with olive oil, and baked them for about 15 min at 400 degrees. Voila! Perfectly crunchy homemade tortilla chips. I was in control of these chips, because I made them. I made about 4 small tortillas worth of chips (approx. 8 chips per tortilla - they were really small) so if you do the math that's 32 chips total. Ryan ate a few, I ate a few and I put some away for lunch today. The crappy thing about this was that I felt GUILTY for even eating the chips at that point. It irks me that I now feel guilty for eating anything that I'm not "supposed" to eat. I would like to be able to enjoy a treat every now and then for goodness sake!

As a side note - if you 3 people that read this blog are looking for a grain free/gluten free snack bar that only has like 4 ingredients...here's a good one that I had today. It was a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabar.


The only ingredients in these things are dates, cashews, chocolate chips (the one I had today) and sea salt. Very tasty and portable! The carb count is a little high (~30 g) but in a pinch this is a great alternative to eating something not so great for you!

No comments: