Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yum Yum.

I've been stocking up on yummy grass-fed meat from Yonder Way Farm and I tend to buy cuts of meat and I'm not quite sure what to do with them or how to cook them. So I end up eating all my ground beef, but then I'm left with other cuts. Hence, my culinary adventure last night!

I bought some beef round steak. Not too hard, it's pretty easy to cook. But I've always cooked beef round steak as cubed steak. One of my favorite meals growing up was cube steak with gravy! Trying to stay away from the flour, I wasn't sure how to make "cube steak" without dredging the meat in flour and frying in a skillet. So, to Google I go!!!

I found a recipe for "paleo" cube steak and it was fantastic! Instead of using flour, I made a bread crumb like mixture from almonds, herbs and spices. There are a couple changes I would make, but overall it got the seal of approval from Ryan and Ansley. I believe Ryan's exact words were "This has a REALLY good flavor!" Win!

On a side note, I made some rice last night to go with our meat and veggies ( I know, I know). It looked good in my pantry, so I decided to make some. I just wanted to say that I was QUITE disappointed in the the taste (or lack of) of the rice. Now I know why I don't make it anymore! Compared to the flavor of the broccoli and the meat, the rice tasted like cardboard. Even after I added butter, salt and pepper. Thank you paleo for at least showing me that food with color have great flavor!

Here's the recipe:
Paleo Cube Steak

Beef Round Steak
Almonds
Various Herbs and Spices ( I used Oregano, Basil, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Salt)
Splash of olive oil
Grapeseed Oil (to cook in)

Mix the almonds, herbs and spices and a splash or two of olive oil in a food processor until it's the consistency of breadcrumbs. The recipe said a 1/4 cup of almonds, but maybe I had A LOT of meat, because I had to make like 3 "batches" of crumbs. So I would just eyeball it :) Coat the meat with the mixture.

Heat up a few tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a skillet on med-high heat. Cook the meat for about 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and let rest for 3 minutes before eating.

The only issue I had with this recipe was that my almond crumbs didn't stick very well to my meat once it hit the skillet. Next time I might dredge the meat in some oil or egg to get it to stick better. I'm also thinking that because it was grass-fed meat, I may need to cook it on lower heat next time.

Happy eating!

No comments: